Special Portability of New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension


Special Portability enables you to continue to have your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension (New Zealand pension) paid to you when you move to one of the following Pacific countries.

  • American Samoa
  • Cook Islands
  • Federated States of Micronesia
  • Fiji
  • French Polynesia
  • Guam
  • Kiribati
  • Marshall Islands
  • Nauru
  • New Caledonia
  • Niue
  • Northern Mariana Islands
  • Palau
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Pitcairn Island
  • Samoa
  • Solomon Islands
  • Tokelau
  • Tonga
  • Tuvalu
  • Vanuatu
  • Wallis and Fortuna

To be able to receive your New Zealand pension in one of these Pacific countries you must:

  • be entitled to receive the New Zealand pension before leaving New Zealand, and
  • be entitled to the New Zealand pension in your own right. Non-qualified partners (eg those under 65 years) have no entitlement overseas, and
  • be going to live in one of these Pacific countries for more than 52 weeks, and
  • be resident in one of these Pacific countries when each payment is made to you, and
  • be residing in and present in New Zealand on the date of application for special portability

Your payment rate will be:

If you've lived in New Zealand You'll get
for 20 complete years or more since age 20 the full basic rate
for between 10-20 complete years since age 20 1/20th of the basic rate for each year you have lived here since age 20
for 10 complete years since age 20 half of the basic rate

Extra assistance you may get in New Zealand cannot be paid overseas, including living alone allowances, disability allowances or accommodation supplements.

If you are receiving an overseas benefit or pension the basic rate payable will be adjusted first, then payment will be calculated according to the table above.

Tax is not deducted in New Zealand before payments are made overseas. You may have to pay tax on your payments in the country you have moved to. Please contact the tax authority in the country you are moving to for more information.

Please tell us about any changes that could affect your payments, such as changes to:

  • your personal details, eg your name or address
  • your living situation, for instance if you begin living with a partner
  • if you or your partner move to another country
  • if you or your partner begin to receive an overseas pension.

Life Certificates will be sent out to you regularly to complete and return to ensure your details and entitlements are kept up to date. Please also tell us if you return to live in New Zealand.

Contact us before you go overseas for any reason or any length of time. This will ensure that you continue to receive the correct entitlement.

For further information on special portability please contact International Services.