Stopping work because of health condition or disability

If you have to stop work because of a health condition, injury or disability we may be able to help you.

Talk to your health practitioner

You'll need a medical certificate from your health practitioner, eg your doctor, to tell us how your health condition or disability affects your ability to work.

Some health practitioners send us medical certificates electronically. If you already have a Work and Income client number, make sure they include that on the certificate.

If your health practitioner doesn't send your medical certificate electronically, you'll need to send it to us.

What you can get