Jobseeker Support is a weekly payment that helps people until they find work.
Who can get it
To get Jobseeker Support, you generally need to either:
- not be in employment and looking for a job
- be in part-time employment seeking more work
- have a health condition or disability which affects your ability to work. This means that you have to reduce your hours or stop work for a while. We may still be able to help if you have a job to go back to.
You also need to be:
- willing to accept suitable employment
- aged 18 years or over, or 20 and over if you have dependent children
- a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who has lived here for at least two years at any one time since becoming a citizen or permanent resident, and who normally lives here.
If you meet the above criteria except for the one about how long you’ve lived in New Zealand, talk to us.
To get Jobseeker Support, and to keep receiving the weekly payments, you’ll need to do some required activities and meet a number of obligations.
This is a guide only. For more detail about who can get it read:
Check if you can get Jobseeker Support
To find out if you could get Jobseeker Support and what else you might qualify for, use our 'Check what you might get' tool.
What you can get
Jobseeker Support is paid weekly. How much you get depends on your situation and how much you and your partner (if you have one) earn.
How to apply
You can complete and submit your application form online. We'll also check to see if you can get any other help from us, based on the answers you give in your application form.
What happens next
Once you've submitted your online form, there are a number of things you'll need to do to complete the application process. Your partner (if you have one) may also need to do some things too. These could include:
- read and agree to obligations
- fill out a Jobseeker profile
- gather supporting documents
- book an appointment or seminar.
We'll let you know what you need to do once you've submitted your application form.
If your application's approved
If you're getting Jobseeker Support, you need to keep us up-to-date with any changes that might affect how much you get paid, eg having a baby, travelling overseas, earning income, etc.
Getting Jobseeker Support for more than 12 months
If you're getting Jobseeker Support and you still need it after a year, you have to re-apply.
For more information contact us