Jobseeker Support

Jobseeker Support is a weekly payment that helps people until they find work.

  • Who can get it

    To get Jobseeker Support, you generally need to either:

    • not be in employment and looking for a job
    • be in part-time employment seeking more work
    • have a health condition or disability which affects your ability to work. This means that you have to reduce your hours or stop work for a while. We may still be able to help if you have a job to go back to.

    You also need to be:

    • willing to accept suitable employment
    • aged 18 years or over, or 20 and over if you have dependent children
    • a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident who has lived here for at least two years at any one time since becoming a citizen or permanent resident, and who normally lives here.

    If you meet the above criteria except for the one about how long you've lived in New Zealand, talk to us.

    This is a guide only. For more detail about who can get it read:

    Check if you can get Jobseeker Support

    To find out if you could get Jobseeker Support and what else you might qualify for, use our 'Check what you might get' tool.

  • What you can get

    Jobseeker Support is paid weekly. How much you get depends on your situation and how much you and your partner (if you have one) earn.

  • How to apply

    You can apply online through MyMSD. We'll also check to see if you can get any other help from us based on the answers you give in your application.

  • What happens next

    Once you've submitted your online form, we’ll call you if there's anything else you need to do.

    Apply for child support if you're a sole parent

    If you get Jobseeker Support, you need to fill in a Child Support application form.

    This helps Inland Revenue collect child support payments from the other parent of your child.

    There are some situations when you don't need to apply. Everyone's situation is different.

    We'll contact you when we process your application and let you know what you need to do.

  • While you're getting Jobseeker Support

    Something changes

    If you're getting Jobseeker Support, you need to keep us up-to-date with any changes that might affect how much you get paid, eg having a baby, travelling overseas, earning income, etc.

    Medical certificates

    We've temporarily postponed the need for subsequent medical certificates if you're getting Jobseeker Support or your don't have work obligations because of a health condition, injury or disability. There's more information about this here:

  • Getting Jobseeker Support for more than 12 months

    If you're getting Jobseeker Support and you still need it after a year, you have to reapply.


For more information contact us