Re-apply for Temporary Additional Support (TAS)

If you're getting Temporary Additional Support and you still need it after 13 weeks, you have to re-apply. You need to do this before your payment stops.

Who can re-apply

You can re-apply for Temporary Additional Support if you and your partner have had no changes in circumstances. However, if something has changed, you'll need to check if you still meet the criteria for Temporary Additional Support

You must also have taken:

  • all necessary steps to try and pay your expenses another way, eg
    • if your circumstances have changed, use our 'Check what you might get' tool to see if there's any other payments you could get
    • if you're working, check if you can get Working for Families payments from Inland Revenue
  • reasonable steps to increase your income and reduce your costs, eg:
    • getting budgeting advice
    • requesting debt repayments to be temporarily stopped
    • stopping contributions to KiwiSaver and/or other retirement schemes.
  • How to re-apply

    You'll get a letter (with a re-application form), as well as a notification in MyMSD, at least 4 weeks before your Temporary Additional Support stops.

    You need to:

    • log in to MyMSD
    • select re-apply
    • complete the online form
    • upload any documents, if required
    • submit the online form.

    If there's been a change to your partner or child details, you'll need to talk with us. MyMSD will let you know if you need to do this.

    Can't use MyMSD

    If you can't use MyMSD, you can either:

    • call us and say "Temporary Additional Support" we may be able to do this for you over the phone
    • complete the re-application form we sent you and drop it off to your local service centre

    We'll let you know if there are any documents you need to provide. You'll need to drop these off to your local service centre

    If you don’t re-apply before your Temporary Additional Support stops, we can only start again from the date you reapplied. It may mean you have a gap in your payments.

  • What happens next

    Once your online form has been processed, we'll send you a letter to let you know the outcome.