Home repairs and maintenance

If you need money for essential repairs or maintenance for your home and you're on a benefit, we may be able to help.


You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

  • Who can get it

    You may be able to get help if:

    • you’re receiving a benefit, pension or NZ Superannuation
    • you have an immediate and essential need
    • the repairs or maintenance are needed to keep your home to a reasonable living standard
    • you’ve been to your bank or another provider but they weren’t able to help you.

    It also depends on:

    • how much you and your partner earn
    • any money or assets you and your partner have.

    Your income will be assessed either weekly or yearly, depending on the kind of help you qualify for. These income and asset limits usually apply:

    Income limits

    If you are: Weekly income before tax is less than Weekly income limit (before tax) from 1 November 2021 until 30 June 2022
    single, 16-17 years $514.41 $678.07
    single, 18+ years $591.20 $847.59
    married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) $858.72 $1695.18
    sole parent (1 child) $717.40 $1165.44
    sole parent (2+ children) $755.82 $1483.29

    Asset limits

    These don't include what you need for day-to-day living, eg your home or your car. They do include money in the bank, or things like a caravan or a second property.

    If you are: Your assets are worth less than
    single $1,193.21
    married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) or sole parent $1,988.20

    Not on a benefit

    If you’re not on a benefit and need help urgently, eg with a sewage treatment system, we may still be able to help. Call us on 0800 559 009 to discuss your situation.

  • What you can get

    Generally you can get up to $1,000 depending on your situation.

    What you get it for

    You can get help with essential repairs and maintenance for your home, eg:

    • roof
    • hot water cylinder
    • paths
    • fences
    • retaining walls.

    You may also be able to get help with essential services such as:

    • sewerage (eg sinks, toilet, shower, drains)
    • water
    • electricity connection.
  • How to apply

    Call us to book an appointment with us.

    During your appointment, we’ll need to understand your situation and how we can help, and let you know what information you need to provide. This will include:

    • evidence that you own your home (or have joint ownership)
    • evidence that you live in your home
    • evidence that you went to your bank or another provider for help but your application was unsuccessful
    • evidence of the costs you're applying for, eg quotes or a link to a cost on the supplier's website. You'll need to check with the store or supplier to see if they can accept our payment.