Home repairs and maintenance
If you need money for essential repairs or maintenance for your home and you're on a benefit, we may be able to help.
You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.
Who can get it
You may be able to get help if:
- you’re receiving a benefit, pension or NZ Superannuation
- you have an immediate and essential need
- the repairs or maintenance are needed to keep your home to a reasonable living standard
- you’ve been to your bank or another provider but they weren’t able to help you.
It also depends on:
- how much you and your partner earn
- any money or assets you and your partner have.
Your income will be assessed either weekly or yearly, depending on the kind of help you qualify for. These income and asset limits usually apply:
If you are: Weekly income before tax is less than Annual income before tax is less than single, 16-17 years $485.32 $25,236.64 single, 18+ years $557.78 $29,004.56 married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) $810.15 $42,127.80 sole parent (1 child) $676.84 $35,195.68 sole parent (2+ children) $713.09 $37,080.68
These don't include what you need for day-to-day living, eg your home or your car. They do include money in the bank, or things like a caravan or a second property.
If you are: Your assets are worth less than single $1,062.51 married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) or sole parent $1,770.44
Not on a benefit
If you’re not on a benefit and need help urgently, eg with a sewage treatment system, we may still be able to help. Call us on 0800 559 009 to discuss your situation.
What you can get
Generally you can get up to $1,000 depending on your situation.
What you get it for
You can get help with essential repairs and maintenance for your home, eg:
- hot water cylinder
- retaining walls.
You may also be able to get help with essential services such as:
- sewerage (eg sinks, toilet, shower, drains)
- electricity connection.
How to apply
Use MyMSD to book an appointment to come in and see us.
MyMSD will tell you what you the main things you need to bring. You'll also need to provide:
- proof that you own your home (or have joint ownership)
- proof that you live in your home
- proof that you went to your bank or another provider for help but your application was unsuccessful.
- quotes from an approved supplier. You can ask for a list of these when you call.
If you have an urgent cost to pay within 24 hours, call us on 0800 559 009. We'll book you an appointment to come in and see us as soon as possible and tell you what you need to bring.