Hire an LSV graduate
Information about Limited Services Volunteer programmes and how to employ one of their graduates.
What is LSV
The Limited Service Volunteer (LSV) programme is a challenging 6-week course for 18-25 year olds to better prepare them for the workplace.
- funded by the Ministry of Social Development
- run by New Zealand Defence Force
- supported by New Zealand Police.
It gives participants the opportunity to think about their life, their future and the kind of work they'd like to do. It builds confidence and gives them physical and mental strength so that they're more capable for work when they graduate.
What Auckland Chamber of Commerce says
"The LSV course actually gives them an opportunity to get some discipline in their lives and that to me is about getting up, about facing a day, about getting a sense that you’ve got purpose and that purpose is going to be that you’ve got participation and employment in the work force."
Michael Barnett, Auckland Chamber of Commerce
What LSV graduates can offer
Young people who graduate from LSV can offer:
- a positive attitude
- reliability, honesty and loyalty
- good time management
- self discipline
- a strong desire to work
- teamwork skills
- respect for others
- a responsible outlook
- confidence in themselves
- first aid training
- financial and budgeting skills.
Feedback about our graduates
"The majority of LSVs that have joined Downer are still with us and are making a very favourable contribution, so I can very much recommend."
Cos Bruyn, Downer
"Snap em’ up straight away, get them before anyone else comes to take them because if they can go through an LSV programme, they're definitely driven and motivated to succeed in their life."
Donovan Bickford, Advanced Training Centre
LSV course patron
"Employ them; they bring their life skills, they bring their previous experience, they bring a richness that we don’t even know about and you take one of these LSV trainees and you will never regret it."
NZ Defence Force
"The graduating trainee is highly motivated, well aware of how they can contribute, has some goals, maybe some dreams, and frankly I think it’s up to us as members of the community to be able to give them the chance to do just that."
Brigadier Sean Trengrove
How to hire an LSV graduate
What happens next
So we can tailor a recruitment plan to meet your needs, we'll contact you to discuss your vacancy. This is so we can learn about your business and understand more about the role.
- arrange for you to attend an LSV employer expo in Auckland or Christchurch
- search for suitable candidates who would be a good fit for your business
- shortlist candidates and refer the best ones to you
- arrange times for you to interview the candidates
- we may also be able to provide a space for you to hold any interviews, if you need it
- connect you with information and services if you need advice:
- before making an employment offer, eg how you can complete reference checks
- once you make a decision on who you want to hire.
You can attend an employer expo in Auckland or Christchurch, where you can meet the LSV course participants.
By attending, you can hear more about what skills the participants have gained and what they're interested in. You can also talk about your industry and vacancy.
If you find a suitable candidate at the expo, you can start the recruitment process straight away.
Extra support or training
If there's an LSV graduate you like, but they need some extra support or training, we may be able to help with things like:
- ongoing support and advice
- modifications or equipment if they're disabled.