International Services

International Services and Work and Income are services of the Ministry of Social Development. Together we help you get paid the right amount of New Zealand benefit or pension whether you live in New Zealand or overseas.

International Services:

  • pays New Zealand benefits and pensions to clients overseas
  • helps current and former New Zealand residents to claim certain New Zealand benefits and pensions they may be able to get while living overseas
  • helps people claim any overseas benefits or pensions they may be entitled to from another country, and assesses their New Zealand entitlement once an overseas benefit or pension is granted
  • provides general advice and assistance on international benefits and pensions
  • shares information with social security agreement partners about benefits and pensions covered by agreements.

Our Wellington-based staff look after approximately 60,000 clients in New Zealand and in 70 countries around the world.

We assist in the negotiation of social security agreements and administer:

If you receive a New Zealand benefit or pension, you can help us by:

  • making sure that we have correct information about time you have spent living in other countries
  • telling us about any changes in your circumstances.
  • Contact us

    For information about Veteran's Pensions please contact the Veteran's Pension Centre on 0800 650 656.

    If you are deaf, hearing impaired or find it hard to communicate by phone you can send a message to our Deaf Link free-fax 0800 621 621.

    A translator is also available to you when you contact us on 0800 777 227.

  • Centrelink International Services in Australia

    The New Zealand and Australian governments have a Social Security Agreement that allows payment of certain New Zealand benefits and pensions to residents of Australia and payment of certain Australian benefits pensions to residents of New Zealand

    Responsibility for administering this Agreement rests with International Services in New Zealand and Centrelink International Services in Australia.

    We do this on behalf of our respective government departments; the Ministry of Social Development in New Zealand and the Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs in Australia.

    Local offices for Centrelink in Australia and Work and Income in New Zealand are also available to provide support and advice.

    If you would like to discuss your Australian benefit or pension (Australian Age Pension, Disability Support Pension or Carer Payment) please contact: