Your employee may be able to get a Modification Grant if they need equipment or to adapt their work space due to a disability or illness.
Who can get it
For your employee to qualify for a Modification Grant:
- they must meet the criteria for this payment
- you or your business must have:
- checked for alternative funding options, eg through the Ministry of Health
- sought professional advice, if necessary, eg from either a:
- occupational therapist
- disability agency advisor
- support professional.
What you can get
The most your employee can apply for is up to $10,000, including GST, in a 52 week period. It can pay for things like:
- visual aids
- computer equipment.
It can't pay for:
- work experience
- temporary employment
- modifications or equipment that you would need to provide if your employee wasn't disabled
- modifications to a building where you already have a legal obligation to provide access for disabled people, eg
- in new buildings or
- where the building is undergoing renovations
- items for personal mobility only.
The application process
What happens next
Once your employee has applied, you'll:
- be contacted to arrange for someone to come and assess your workplace
- be given an application form to complete
- need to get a quote
- if the amount is more than $1,500, you'll need to get 3 quotes
- send the application form and quotes, if required, back to us (we'll let you know where to send them).
If the application is approved:
- we'll contact you and your employee to let you know
- you can proceed with the modification or purchase of equipment
- we'll come back to your workplace to check the modification/equipment is satisfactory
- we'll let you know how to organise payment.