If your car needs to be fixed, we may be able to help.
- You must be getting a benefit.
- You'll have to pay the money back.
Who can get it
You may get help if you:
- are 16 or over (if you're 16-19 and have a Youth Service provider, contact Youth Services)
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
- are getting a benefit
- have an immediate or essential need
- need the car for you, your partner or children
- need the car because of either:
- lack of access to public transport
- or your partner own the car.
It also depends on:
- how much you and your partner earn
any money or assets you and your partner have.
If you are: Weekly income before tax is less than Annual income before tax is less than single, 16-17 years $485.32 $25,236.64 single, 18+ years $557.78 $29,004.56 married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) $810.15 $42,127.80 sole parent (1 child) $676.84 $35,195.68 sole parent (2+ children) $713.09 $37,080.68
These don't include what you need for day-to-day living, eg your home or your car. They do include money in the bank, or things like a caravan or a second property.
If you are: Your assets are worth less than single $1,062.51 married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) or sole parent $1,770.44
What you can get
Generally we can pay up to $400 to help with some car repairs.
We don't usually pay for
Standard car costs, eg:
- warrant of fitness
- car insurance
- car registration
- regular servicing costs.
How to apply
Use MyMSD to book an appointment to come in and see us. It will tell you what you need to bring.
If you have an urgent cost to pay within 24 hours, call us on 0800 559 009. We'll book you an appointment to come in and see us as soon as possible and tell you what you need to bring.