Caring for someone else's child

If you're caring for someone else's child, we may be able to help.


What you get will depend on both your and the child's circumstances.

  • What you can get

    There are other types of help you may be able to get, it depends on your situation. Use "Check what you might get" to find out what help you could qualify for.

  • Getting Unsupported Child's Benefit or Orphan's Benefit

  • On a benefit

    If a child comes into your care while you're on a benefit, you may have a change in obligations or your benefit could be affected.

  • Getting New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension

    It's different for people getting New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension - your payments stay the same whether or not you include the child in your payments.

    You may qualify for Working for Families Tax Credits from Inland Revenue, depending on your income. You'll need to apply by calling 0800 227 773 or visiting

    Remember, any extra income you get can affect your other payments.

    It's probably better for you to get the Orphan's Benefit or Unsupported Child's Benefit if you qualify. Contact Work and Income to find out which is the best option for you.