Violent relationships

If your relationship has ended because of family violence, there are a number of ways we may be able to help you.

Important information

If you're in immediate danger, dial 111 and ask for the Police.

NZ Police - family violence

The organisation 'It's not OK' also has services that can help you. You can call them on 0800 456 450.

It's not OK - need help

How we can help

If you are living in or leaving a violent relationship you can talk to Work and Income about how we can help you. We have specialist staff in each region who will help you access the right support services, including financial help from us, depending on your need.

This could include:

  • financial help to get back on your feet - including benefit payments, help with accommodation costs, special needs grants and other assistance
  • help to find somewhere to live - including information on housing options in your area and, if need be, an assessment for social housing
  • referring you to other support services and agencies able to help you.

We'll also support you to build a better future for you and your family by helping you prepare or look for suitable work. We'll take into account your particular circumstances and what's appropriate for you.

Work and Income case managers have been trained to identify and respond appropriately to people who are living in or leaving violent family situations. Talk to us about your situation. The more we understand what is happening for you, the better we can help you.

Call us on 0800 559 009 to make an appointment and say "Appointment".