Fire or theft

If you need help replacing essential items after a fire or theft and can't pay for these any other way, we may be able to help.


  • You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for this help.
  • You may have to pay the money back depending your situation.
  • Who can get it

    We may be able to help if you:

    • are 16 or over (if you're 16-19 and have a Youth Service provider, contact Youth Services)
    • have urgent and necessary costs
    • have no other way to meet these costs
    • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
    • normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here.

    It also depends on:

    • how much you and your partner earn
    • any money or assets you and your partner have.

    Your income will be assessed either weekly or yearly depending on the kind of help you qualify for. These income and asset limits usually apply:

    Income limits

    If you are: Weekly income before tax is less than Annual income before tax is less than
    single, 16-17 years $514.41 $26,749.32
    single, 18+ years $591.20 $30,742.40
    married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) $858.72 $44,653.44
    sole parent (1 child) $717.40 $37,304.80
    sole parent (2+ children) $755.82 $39,302.64

    Asset limits

    These don't include what you need for day-to-day living, eg your home or your car. They do include money in the bank, or things like a caravan or a second property.

    If you are: Your assets are worth less than
    single $1,126.21
    married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) or sole parent $1,876.56
  • What you can get

    We may be able to pay up to $1000 to help with costs such as:

    • whiteware (eg, fridge, freezer, washing machine)
    • bed
    • couch.
  • How to apply

    You need to call us on 0800 559 009

    We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help. We'll let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us.

    You may need to send us a police or fire report.