New Employment Transition Grant

The New Employment Transition Grant is a payment which helps people who are no longer on a benefit and who can't work because of sickness or a breakdown in childcare arrangements.

Who can get it

You may get a New Employment Transition Grant if you have a dependent child or children and either:

  • you can't work because you, your spouse or partner, or your dependent child is sick and you have no sick leave available
  • there has been a breakdown in childcare arrangements and you have no paid leave available.

You can only get the grant if your spouse or partner can’t care for the child.

You must also:

  • have stopped getting a benefit within the last six months
  • be a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

You should also normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here.

How much you can get

This depends on your circumstances.

How to apply

You need to call us on 0800 559 009

We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help. We'll let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us.


This information is a guide only.

Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.