What to provide when you apply for Youth Payment or Young Parent Payment

Here’s what you need to bring to your first appointment with us or your Youth Service provider to support your application. If you have a partner, they will need to provide these documents too.


You must provide original documents or certified true copies. If you can't get a document certified right now, we'll talk to you about other options.

A list of what you need to provide can also be found on the 'next steps' page after you submit an online application.

  • Identification

    You need to provide 2 forms of identification, either:

    • 2 forms of Government issued ID, or
    • If you can't provide 2 Government issued IDs, you can provide one Government-issued ID and one other document supporting your identity.

    Government-issued identification

    What you can use depends on whether you were born in New Zealand or overseas.

    Documents must have your full name and date of birth. They must be current, or not have expired more than two years ago.

    If you were:

    Other documents to support your identity

    Documents must be less than 6 months old. Examples include:

    • bank statement
    • phone or power account bill
    • Kiwi Access card (18+)

    If you can't provide everything, or you're not sure if you've got the right ones, talk to us during your appointment. For a full list see Types of documents we accept.

  • Supporting Documents

    You will need to provide the following to complete your application:

    Evidence of your bank account(s) numbers: eg a bank statement, screenshot of your online banking (showing your name, account number, and the bank's logo), or deposit slip

    Evidence of your last pay and all income for the last 52 weeks: such as payslips, bank statements, or a letter from your employer(s). By income we mean any income you (and your partner) get from any source including work, regular insurance payments like ACC, investments, interest, business income, private pension, rent or boarders.

    Details of your housing costs: for example a tenancy agreement or a letter from the person you board with. We'll also need the bank account details of your landlord so that we can pay them directly.

    Details of your living costs: such as electricity bills, phone bills, or debts.

    Confirmation of your circumstances

    • a letter from your school that confirms that you're enrolled as a full-time secondary school student, or
    • a medical certificate (if you are unwell) from your health practitioner about your condition and how it affects your ability to work, attend training or go to school.

    Full birth certificates for your child (or children) (if applicable)

    Details of any name changes: your marriage certificate or deed poll papers.

  • Additional information required for specific benefits

    You'll also need to provide the following if you're applying for:

    Childcare assistance

    • evidence of your work, course, study and number of hours eg confirmation of study
    • A completed childcare assistance application form

    Disability-related benefits

    Examples of you may need to provide:

    • evidence of any costs relating to your disability
    • medical reports from your specialist
    • assessments from Needs Assessment Service Co-ordination (NASC) agencies
    • Special Education assessments
    • Work and Income Medical Certificate or Disability Certificate completed by your health practitioner

    Call us if you’re not sure what you need.

  • If you have a spouse or partner

    Provide the following for your spouse/partner:

    • 2 forms of identification, eg birth certificate, passport or driver licence
    • evidence of any name change, eg deed poll or marriage or civil union certificate
    • evidence of their bank account details, eg a bank statement, screenshot of their online banking (showing their name, account number and the bank's logo), or deposit slip
    • their gross income details (eg weekly gross wage and gross holiday pay) for the 52 week period immediately before the application.


Contact us if there's anything on the list you're not sure about, don't have or will have some delay in providing.