Transition to Work Grant

We may be able to pay for things you need to find or start a job, such as clothes, travel, living expenses until your first pay and other things.


You don't have to pay the money back.

  • Who can get it

    To get the Transition to Work Grant you must be:

    • 16 years or older
    • able to show you are looking for a job, have a job offer, or are between jobs
    • a New Zealand resident
    • looking for or starting a job in New Zealand, not overseas.

    We may also look at:

    • how much you and your partner earn
    • any income or cash you or your partner have.

    You must be looking to work 30 or more hours a week, or 20 hours or more a week if you're a sole parent.

    You don't need to be on a benefit with us to get this payment.

  • What you can get

    We may be able to help with the reasonable costs of finding work or starting a new job. For example:

    • clothing and transport for a job interview
    • interpreter fees
    • tools or clothing for work
    • relocating for work
    • living expenses between your last benefit payment and first pay (eg board or rent, food and power)
    • tattoo removal
    • childcare when you go to a job interview or first start work.

    You can get up to $1,500 (in total) for these things in a 52-week period.

    We may also be able to help with on-going childcare costs for up to 50 hours a week, depending on your circumstances.

  • How to apply

    You need to call us on 0800 559 009

    We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help. We'll let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us.

    You may need to fill out the the 'Transition to Work Grant' application form.