Training Incentive Allowance

Help with fees for some courses may be available

About the Training Incentive Allowance

The Training Incentive Allowance (TIA) can help with things like tuition fees, books, childcare, equipment, transport, and any additional caring costs while studying.

The allowance is available for courses at levels 1-7 of the New Zealand Qualifications Framework.

You may apply for levels 4-7 on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework until 1 January 2025.

Watch our client Caitlin talk about what the Training Incentive Allowance means to her.

To view captions click anywhere on the video and select the 'CC' icon on the bottom right.

To read the transcript click anywhere on the video, select the YouTube logo on the bottom right. This will open the video in YouTube. You can then read the transcript by clicking the 3 dots under the video window, and select 'Open transcript'.

  • Who can get it

    If you’re getting one of these payments, you can get the Training Incentive Allowance:

    • Sole Parent Support
    • Supported Living Payment - caring for a person
    • Supported Living Payment - health condition, injury, or disability
    • Young Parent Payment (sole parents only)
    • Emergency Benefit or Emergency Maintenance Allowance (sole parents only)
    • Jobseeker Support (sole parents only) and be studying part-time


    • be enrolled in a recognised course of study that will increase your skills for employment and is:
      • 12 weeks or more
      • funded by the Tertiary Education Commission or the Ministry of Education
      • Level 1 to 7 on New Zealand Qualifications Framework
  • How much you can get

    Up to a maximum of $4,567.60 in a year may be paid for the costs you have as a result of attending your course, this can include things like course fees, transport, books, childcare, stationery, a laptop and any additional caring costs.

    You need to apply for TIA every year.

    Training Incentive Allowance guidelines

  • Who can apply

    Once you’re clear about your career goal and what course you can take to help you get there, make an appointment with one of our case managers.

    Call us on 0800 559 009 and we’ll arrange to meet in person or over the phone, whatever works best for you.

    We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help. We'll let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us.

    You and your education provider also need to fill out this form. We'll discuss the best way to get the completed form to us.

  • Refunding money to the Ministry of Social Development

    In a small number of cases Ministry of Social Development (MSD) clients may find study isn’t right for them now. If MSD has paid their fees, and our client is leaving within your place of vocational education/university/school refund period, providers will need to refund the fees to MSD straight away. You can do this by direct credit:

    Account name: MSD ROBOC 3

    Account number: 03-0049-0006243-25

    Reference: Add the letter C and client’s 9-digit client number (without spaces or dashes) i.e. C123456789

    Code: TIA

    Particulars: Client surname and initial

    Please then email to confirm a refund has been paid and include details of:

    • the amount
    • client surname and initial
    • client’s 9-digit MSD client number
    • what the refund is for i.e. TIA or refund of course fees.

    Applications for the Training Incentive Allowance will currently be open until 1 January 2025 (for courses at levels 4-7 only).


This information is a guide only.

Please contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.