Flexi-wage – job seeker information

Flexi-wage is one of the ways we're supporting more New Zealanders into work, by helping you get the skills you need for the job, and supporting more employers to hire staff.

Flexi-wage can support you if you need some extra help to get started and learn the skills you need for a job. People starting their own business might be able to get some help too.

What's Flexi-wage

Flexi-wage helps job seekers to get the skills they need to meet the requirements of a job.

Employees can get training and ongoing support if needed, and employers can get a wage contribution to help them pay their employees. The job must continue after the Flexi-wage has finished.

Who can get it

You may be able to get Flexi-wage if you:

  • haven't worked for a long time


  • have difficulty getting or keeping a job. For example, you might have barriers to finding a job because you need education or training, or your current job may be at risk.

You don't necessarily need to be getting a benefit.

Flexi-wage can help you get the skills you need to do a job, which might be with:

  • an employer who wants to hire you, or
  • an employer you're already working for who needs to move you into a different role that requires further training and more hours, rather than making you redundant.

The employer also needs to meet the 'Who can get it' criteria outlined in Flexi-wage - employer information

The job must:

  • pay at least the minimum wage
  • have the minimum number of hours to meet any work obligations

and be either:

  • ongoing, continuing after Flexi-wage has finished, or
  • a fixed-term project that benefits the community or environment and will help you gain the skills needed to get into work once it's finished.

What support you can get

Support from us can include:

  • a contribution to your wages - we'll pay this to your employer
  • training
  • ongoing support.

We'll talk to your employer about what you need and how we can help.

How to find out more

If you're already talking to us about finding or getting ready for work, ask about Flexi-wage.

If you're not already talking to us about this and you don't have a client number, fill out the form below. In the form, select "I want help finding work". We'll get in touch with you to talk about our employment services, including Flexi-wage.

By getting a client number, you're not necessarily applying for financial assistance, but you can do that as well if you need to.