Child Disability Allowance

Child Disability Allowance is a fortnightly payment made to the main carer of a child or young person with a serious disability. It is paid in recognition of the extra care and attention needed for that child.

Who can get it

You may get a Child Disability Allowance if:

  • you are the main carer of the child (or if there is no main carer, you have care of the child for the time being)
  • you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
  • the child has been assessed as needing constant care and attention for at least 12 months because of a serious disability
  • the child or young person is under 18.

Both you and the child should also normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here.

You may be able to get both the Disability Allowance and the Child Disability Allowance for the same child. But you can't get this allowance if the child already gets a benefit (except for the Orphan's or Unsupported Child's Benefit). If the child is 16 or over, they may be able to get Supported Living Payment.

You can't get a Child Disability Allowance if you get board payments from Oranga Tamariki for the child.

  • How much you can get

    The Child Disability Allowance is $49.83 a week for each child who qualifies. This is a set amount and doesn't depend on your income, assets or costs. This allowance is paid into your bank account every 2 weeks and is paid separately from any other assistance you may get.

    In most cases, it won't affect any other assistance you may get from us.

  • Are you eligible?

    Find out if you might get this benefit, and what other financial assistance may be available to you.

  • How to apply

    We can grant you the financial assistance you're entitled to from the date you first contact us, if you complete your application within 20 working days of that date.

    Apply for Child Disability Allowance only

    You need to complete the Child Disability Allowance application form. Your child's health practitioner (eg. their doctor) also needs to complete the medical certificate inside this form. The form tells you what documents you need to provide.

    If you can't print the form out, you can call us to get an application form sent to you.

    Once you've completed the form, call us to talk about how to get the form and documents to us.

    Apply for Child Disability Allowance and other payments

    You can apply online through MyMSD. We'll also check to see if you can get any other help from us based on the answers you give in your application.

    Once you've applied online, we'll call and let you know what else you need to do. This will include having to get your child's health practitioner to complete the Child Disability Allowance Medical Certificate

  • On a benefit


This information is a guide only.

Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.