Final work payments

We’ve found an error in the way we treated some payments people received at the end of their employment. This meant the start date of benefit payments was incorrect and we owe some people money.

Who's affected by this error

You may be affected if you:

  • received payments, such as holiday pay or pay in lieu of notice, at the end of your employment, and
  • your benefit was granted on or after 23 March 2020, but before 8 June 2020.

Check if you or someone else is owed money

We’re contacting and paying all our current clients affected by this error.

If you used to get payments from us, you can use the ‘Payment errors enquiry’ form to check if you’re owed money. Our staff can’t tell you if you’re owed money or how much it is.

You can also use the ‘Payment errors enquiry’ form to enquire for someone else if:

  • they’re not a current client with us
  • a person has died.

The form will check if you (or the person you’re enquiring for) are owed money. It won’t say how much you’re owed, we’ll send you a letter to let you know this.

Using the enquiry form overseas

At this stage the enquiry tool can only be assessed from Australia and New Zealand.

  • Checking payment errors for someone else

    You can also use the payment errors enquiry form to check to see if we owe someone else money when:

    • they're not a current client
    • a person has died.

    Information to make an enquiry for someone else

    The form will tell you if the person you're making an enquiry for is on the list of clients who may be affected and you can apply for them. It won't say how much they may be owed.

  • How this payment affects your benefit or allowance

    If you're getting a benefit or allowance from us, it won't be affected for 12 months from when we pay you the money we owe.

    If you:

    • still have this money after 12 months, you'll need to tell us and it will be counted for any benefits or payments that are asset tested
    • invest the money you get and earn interest, after 12 months you'll need to tell us and this will be counted as income.
  • Review rights

    If you don't understand or agree with a decision we've made, please talk with us so we can explain it.

    You have the right to ask us to review a decision you think is wrong. You can use the application form on our website, or write to us. We need to get your request within three months.

    If you have a good reason why you can't ask us to review a decision within three months, get in touch. We may still be able to review the decision.

    You can find out more on the review of a decision page of our website, or you can give us a call on 0800 559 009.

    Get a decision reviewed