Accommodation Supplement (area you live in) payment error

We've found an error where some peoples Accommodation Supplement was being paid incorrectly for the area they were living in. This means we owe some people money.

Who's affected by this error

You may be affected if you:

  • got Accommodation Supplement before April 2018, and
  • were paid incorrectly for the area you were living in.

Check if you or someone else is owed money

We're contacting and paying all our current clients affected by this error.

If you used to get payments from us, you can use the 'Payment errors enquiry' form to check if you're owed money. Our staff can't tell you if you're owed money or how much it is.

You can also use the 'Payment errors enquiry' form to enquire for someone else if:

  • they're not a current client
  • a person has died.

The form will check if you (or the person you're enquiring for) are owed money. It won't say how much you're owed. We'll write to tell you that.

Using the enquiry form overseas

At this stage the enquiry tool can only be accessed from Australia and New Zealand.

  • How this payment affects your benefit or allowance

    If you're getting a benefit or allowance from us, they won't be affected for 12 months from when we pay you the money we owe.

    If you:

    • still have this money after 12 months, you'll need to tell us and it will be counted for any benefits or payments that are asset tested
    • invest the money you get and earn interest, after 12 months you'll need to tell us and this will be counted as income.
  • Getting Working for Families

    Your payment won't affect your Working for Families payment because Accommodation Supplement payments aren't counted as income for Working for Families.

  • Impact on your taxes

    You won't have to pay tax on this payment because Accommodation Supplement payments aren't taxable. Any income you earn on it (for example, interest) will be taxable.

  • Review rights

    If you don't understand or agree with a decision we've made, please talk with us so we can explain it.

    You have the right to ask us to review a decision you think is wrong. You can use the application form on our website, or write to us. We need to get your request within 3 months.

    If you have a good reason why you can't ask us to review a decision within 3 months, get in touch. We may still be able to review the decision.

    You can find out more on the review of a decision page of our website, or you can give us a call on 0800 559 009