Home Help

If you're a parent or carer we may be able to help you with the cost of home help to complete household tasks or training in parenting skills.

Who can get it

You may get Home Help if:

  • you're either a:
    • New Zealand citizen
    • permanent resident
  • you normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
  • you either
    • have a multiple birth from the same pregnancy
    • adopt 2 or more children from the same pregnancy
    • have a domestic emergency (a sudden change of circumstances that creates a crisis situation)
    • need domestic support.

If you have or adopt twins, you must already have another child under 5.

Domestic emergencies and Home Help

You can get Home Help for a domestic emergency, but you must have:

  • no immediate family or anyone else living with you who can help
  • a current Community Services Card, or your partner must have one.

Domestic emergency Home Help is also based on any money or assets you and your partner have.

How much you can get

This depends on your current circumstances.

How to apply

You need to call us on 0800 559 009

We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help. We'll let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us.

We'll ask you to complete a 'Home Help Payments' form and discuss the best way to get this to us.

What happens next

If your application's approved, you and your home helper need to complete a timesheet for each week you get the home help.

There's a section on the timesheet for you to fill in and a section for your home helper to fill in. Both of you will need to sign and date the timesheet.

Call us to talk about the best way to get the completed timesheet to us.


This information is a guide only.

Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.