Funeral Grant

A Funeral Grant can help with some of the funeral costs of someone who has died.

Who can get it

You may get a Funeral Grant if you are either:

  • the partner, spouse, child, parent or guardian of the person who died, or
  • arranging the funeral of someone with no partner, spouse or direct relation.

The Funeral Grant is income and asset tested. The test depends on whether the person who died had a surviving partner or dependent children, or if they were a child. (A child is a single person under the age of 18 years, unless they were 16 or 17 years and financially independent.)

The person who died must have normally lived in New Zealand.

If you are their partner, spouse, parent or guardian it also depends on:

  • how much you earn
  • any money or assets you have.
  • How much you can get

    The most you can be paid is $2,128.10. However this depends on the money or assets the person who died had.

    The Funeral Grant can be used towards costs such as:

    • professional services for preparing the body for cremation or burial (for example, embalming)
    • the cost of a casket
    • newspaper notice costs
    • hearse fees
    • compulsory fees for buying a burial plot
    • cremation fees.

    There are some costs it can't be used for. If you want to check if a cost can be included, contact us.

  • Income and asset test information


    When the deceased person had a surviving partner or was a child, their partner or parent's income must be under a certain amount.

    If the deceased person has a surviving partner

    If the surviving partner is: Their annual income (before tax) must be less than:
    16 - 17 years (no children) $26,444.08
    18+ years (no children) $30,391.92
    A parent with 1 child $36,879.44
    A parent with 2 or more children $38,854.40

    If the deceased person was a child

    If the parent or parents are: Their annual income (before tax) must be less than:
    16 - 17 years (with no other children) $26,444.08
    18+ years (with no other children) $30,391.92

    Married, in a civil union or de facto relationship (with or without other children)

    Single with 1 other child $36,879.44
    Single with 2 or more other children $38,854.40


    When working out if you can get a funeral grant, we need to take into account the assets of:

    • the person who died
    • any surviving partner
    • parents, if the person who died was a child.

    For a surviving partner or for parents (if the person who died was a child) the first $1,855.15 (as at 1 April 2020) of assets aren't included and nor are some family and personal assets.

    For more information about what assets are taken into account please see:

  • Other help with funeral costs

    Funeral costs can also be covered by:

    • another organisation, for example ACC or Veteran's Affairs
    • prepaid funeral cover.

    If there is other help with costs you may not be able to get a funeral grant.

    To find out more information:

  • How to apply

    The person applying for a Funeral Grant must be able to provide estate details or other information about the person who has died (including details about any children they are responsible for).

    Step 1: Apply

    You can apply for a Funeral Grant over the phone.

    Find our phone numbers and contact centre hours.

    You can also complete an application form. You'll need to call us once this is done so we can tell you how to send this to us, and whether we'll need any documents.

    Step 2: Gather your documents

    You may need to provide some documents. Call us to check what we'll need and how you can get this to us.

    You may need to provide:

    • confirmation of death, eg a death certificate (you can order this online here), or a newspaper death notice. If you don’t have one, please tell us as we may be able to get this information
    • details of the funeral expenses - the itemised funeral account, and if it's already paid, the original receipt and proof of a bank account number for the person who paid it
    • proof of who you are.

    You may also need to provide details about assets and income.

linksContact us

This information is a guide only.

Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.