Course Participation Assistance

Help with costs may be available for short-term courses. Course Participation Assistance (CPA) can help clients gain specific employment skills.

About Course Participation Assistance

Course Participation Assistance is financial help towards the costs of attending a short-term employment related training course or programme.

Courses are generally for 12 weeks or less. Courses need to meet these criteria:

  • Supplied by a provider who has a contract with Work and Income, or
  • Approved by Work and Income, or
  • Matched to a specific vacancy, or
  • Specifically recognised alongside a Skills for Industry initiative, or
  • An Intensive Literacy and Numeracy programme or Targeted ESOL programme contracted by the Tertiary Education Commission.

To get CPA, you need to:

  • be attending a short-term employment related course or programme and
  • have specific costs because of your participation in a course or programme
  • have income under the income limit (including partner’s income)
  • have cash assets under the cash assets limit (including partner’s and shared cash assets)
  • Who can get it

    If your course is 13 weeks or less, you may get assistance for education and employment-related training course fees if you:

    • are on a benefit or stand-down for a benefit
    • are attending an approved course
    • have extra costs because of the course.

    Eligibility for assistance may also depend on:

    • how much you and your partner earn
    • any money or assets you and your partner have.

    You'll still get your benefit and other payments and allowances.

  • How much you can get

    Depending on your circumstances, up to a maximum of $1,000 may be paid for course tuition and enrolment fees, transport to/from your course or programme, specific clothing required for your course and care costs.

  • How to apply

    Once you’re clear about your career goal and what course you can take to help you get there, make an appointment with one of our case managers.

    Call us on 0800 559 009.

    We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help. We'll let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us.

    You also need to fill out this form. We'll discuss the best way to get the completed form to us.


This information is a guide only.

Please contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.