Travelling 26 weeks or less
In most cases if you're getting NZ Super or Veteran's Pension, you can go overseas on a holiday or travel for 26 weeks or less and your payments won't be affected. Usually you don't need to tell us.
We encourage you to tell us about your travel plans if you or your partner:
- will be out of New Zealand for 28 days (4 weeks) or more, or
- don't know when you will return, or
- intend to have more than one overseas trip within a 12 month period.
In these situations we can give you advice about:
- how trips of more than 28 days will affect your payments if you receive a Disability Allowance
- how more than one trip in a year can affect the requirement to remain ‘ordinarily resident’ if you are out of New Zealand more than you are in New Zealand.
- how any trip outside New Zealand will affect your payments if you receive:
- Temporary Additional Support
- Accommodation Supplement payments and a single living alone rate of payment.
- how to avoid unexpected debt
- what to do if you're left stranded overseas without any money if something happens to delay your return to New Zealand.
Our International Services team specialise in paying New Zealand benefits and pensions overseas. They are the best people to contact for questions about getting your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension if you want to travel or live overseas.