Residing in certain Pacific countries

New Zealand has a special portability arrangement which covers 22 Pacific countries. You can reside in any one of these countries and continue to get some or all of your payments. You need to contact us at least six weeks before you leave New Zealand.


  • Some Pacific countries are covered by a special portability arrangement with New Zealand. This mean you can take your NZ Super or Veteran's pension with you.
  • You must be resident and present in New Zealand when you apply.
  • Who can get it

    To take your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension to the Pacific countries covered by the arrangement you must:

    • qualify for New Zealand Superannuation or the Veteran's Pension in your own right before you leave and not be 'included' in your partner's payments
    • be resident and present in New Zealand when you apply
    • be going to reside in one of the covered Pacific countries for more than 52 weeks
    • apply for any overseas pension you may be entitled to.

    Pacific countries covered by the special portability arrangement

    • American Samoa
    • Cook Islands
    • Federated States of Micronesia
    • Fiji
    • French Polynesia
    • Guam
    • Kiribati
    • Marshall Islands
    • Nauru
    • New Caledonia
    • Niue
    • Northern Mariana Islands
    • Palau
    • Papua New Guinea
    • Pitcairn Island
    • Samoa
    • Solomon Islands
    • Tokelau
    • Tonga
    • Tuvalu
    • Vanuatu
    • Wallis and Futuna
  • How much can you get?

    • The amount you'll get is based on the number of years you've resided in New Zealand since the age of 20.
    • The following table shows what you could get from New Zealand while residing in any of the 22 Pacific countries covered by the arrangement.
    If you've resided in New Zealand… You'll get…
    for 20 complete years or more since age 20 the full basic rate
    for between 10 and 20 complete years since age 20 5% of the basic rate for each year you have lived here since age 20
    for 10 complete years since age 20 half (50%) of the basic rate
    • If you've previously resided in the country you choose to reside in again, you may be able to get a pension from that country. You'll need to check this out when you arrive.
    • Any social security pension paid from a country other than New Zealand will be deducted from your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension.

    Note: You can't get the Living Alone rate of New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension if you go overseas for longer than 26 weeks. Instead you'll be paid the 'single sharing rate'

  • Extra financial help

    • If you reside overseas, we are unable to pay extra help such as the Disability Allowance, Family Tax Credit or the Accommodation Supplement.
    • You may be able to get extra help from the country you move to. You need to ask the appropriate Social Security agency about this when you get there.
  • Overseas benefits or pensions

    • If you can get a state social security benefit or pension from another country you must tell International Services. It may affect the amount you're paid for New Zealand benefits or pension.
    • You must apply for any overseas state social security benefits or pensions that you may be able to get. Your New Zealand payments may be reduced by the amount you're entitled to get from overseas countries.

    Contact our International Services team if you need help to find out what you're entitled to.

  • How to apply

    • You must apply for your overseas payments before you leave New Zealand (except in exceptional circumstances).
    • You need to complete an application form and arrange an appointment at your nearest Work and Income service centre at least six weeks before you leave New Zealand. Contact us to arrange a meeting.

    You, (and your spouse or partner, if any), will need to bring to the meeting:

    • your passport
    • another form of identification
    • your travel itinerary or tickets

    You will need these to help complete an application form for payment overseas. Please keep our International Services Team well informed of any changes to your circumstances. This is so we can make sure we are paying you the correct amount.

    Exceptional circumstances

    • If you are going to reside in a Pacific country, you must apply to International Services before you leave New Zealand. If you do not do this, we are unable to pay you.
    • The only exception is if you've gone to a Pacific country temporarily but have had to stay because of circumstances that were unexpected and beyond your control (such as a sudden illness or death in the family).
    • In these circumstances contact our International Services team within 30 weeks of leaving New Zealand to see if you can continue to be paid under this arrangement.


Our International Services team specialise in paying New Zealand benefits and pensions overseas. They are the best people to contact for questions about getting your New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension while travelling or residing overseas.

Contact International Services