Unsupported Child's Benefit obligations

There are things you need to do when you're getting an Unsupported Child's Benefit. If you don't do them your benefit could reduce or stop.

  • Tell us if something changes

    You must tell Work and Income or your contracted service provider (where one is assigned to you) immediately if:

    • the care and/or support arrangements for the child change
    • the financial circumstances of the child change
    • either you or the child intend to travel overseas
    • you or the child have changes to personal details, eg:
      • name
      • address
      • bank account number
    • either you or the child have any other change that may affect your benefit entitlement or rate.
  • If you don't meet your obligations

    If there's any reason why you or your partner can't meet your obligations, talk to us straight away.

    If you and your partner don't tell us about changes in your life that might affect your benefit entitlement, or rate, then:

    • your benefit may be reviewed and cancelled
    • you may have to pay back the total amount of any overpayment that you receive
    • we may impose a penalty (up to 3 times the value of the overpayment)
    • you may be prosecuted and fined, or imprisoned.