Childcare and OSCAR subsidy obligations

There are things you and your partner need to do when you're getting a Childcare subsidy or Out of school care and recreation (OSCAR) subsidy. If you don't do them, your payment could reduce or stop.

  • Tell us if something changes

    You and your partner must tell us or your Contracted Service Provider (where you have one assigned to you) immediately if you:

    • have a change in work situation, eg, starting part-time, casual or full-time work, whether paid or unpaid
    • become self-employed/start to run a business
    • have changes to their income or financial circumstances
    • intend to travel overseas
    • start/finish part-time or full-time study
    • have changes to personal details, eg:
      • name
      • address
      • bank account number
    • have changes to their living situation, eg:
      • marriage or separation
      • starting or ending a civil union
      • starting or ending a de facto relationship with someone of the same or opposite sex
      • change in the number of children supported
      • change in accommodation costs
    • are imprisoned/held in custody on remand
    • are admitted to or discharged from hospital
    • have been granted an overseas pension
    • have any other change that may affect your benefit entitlement or rate.
  • If you don't meet your obligations

    If there's any reason why you or your partner can't meet your obligations, talk to us straight away.

    If you or your partner don't tell us about changes in your life that might affect your payment entitlement, or rate, then:

    • your payment may be reviewed and cancelled
    • you may have to pay back the total amount of any overpayment that you've received
    • we may impose a penalty (up to 3 times the value of the overpayment)
    • you may be prosecuted and fined and/or imprisoned.

    Going overseas

    If you or your partner intend to travel overseas and don't let us know before you leave New Zealand, your payment will be stopped the day after you leave New Zealand.