Child Disability Allowance obligations

There are things you need to do when you're getting a Child Disability Allowance. If you don't do them, your payment could reduce or stop.

  • Tell us if something changes

    You must tell us immediately if either you or the child or young person:

    • intends to travel overseas
    • have changes to your living situation, eg the child or young person leaves your care or enters residential care
    • are imprisoned / held in custody or remand
    • have any other change that may affect your entitlement.
  • If you don't meet your obligations

    If there's any reason why you can't meet your obligations, talk to us straight away.

    If you don't tell us about changes in your life that might affect your payment entitlement, or rate, then:

    • your payment may be reviewed and cancelled
    • you may have to pay back the total amount of any overpayment that you've received
    • we may impose a penalty (up to 3 times the value of the overpayment)
    • you may be prosecuted and fined and/or imprisoned.

    Going overseas

    If you intend to travel overseas and don't let us know before you leave New Zealand, your payment will be stopped the day after you leave New Zealand.