What to provide when you apply for a benefit

When you apply for a benefit or other help from us, you need to prove who you are and that what you've told us is true.


You must provide original documents or certified true copies. If you can't get a document certified right now, we'll talk to you about alternative options.

When you talk to us to discuss your application, we'll ask you to provide the documents detailed below.

Any delay in providing these documents could result in a delay in paying you, or your application being cancelled.

What you need to provide:

  • Online application reference number

    When you submit your application form online we issue you an application number. Make a note of this.

  • Evidence of who you are


    If you have a partner they'll also have to provide these documents as well.

    You need to provide 2 forms of identification.

    You'll need to provide 2 Government issued IDs. If you don't have 2 Government issued IDs, you can provide one Government issued ID and one other document that proves your identity.

    If you’ve had a benefit before and have already provided Government issued ID, you don’t need to provide this evidence.

    Government issued ID

    You need to provide 2 of the following that shows your full legal name and date of birth.

    Documents must be current, or if expired, no more than two years old.

    Born in New Zealand Born overseas
    • NZ passport
    • Drivers licence
    • Firearms licence
    • Steps to Freedom release form
    • CYF or Oranga Tamariki issued custody order
    • NZ birth certificate (order a birth certificate online)
    • New Zealand passport
    • Australian passport
    • your passport showing your residence class visa or permit
    • citizenship certificate
    • NZ Refugee Travel Document
    • letter of confirmation of your residence class visa or permit from Immigration New Zealand

    If your name on your Government issued ID has changed, you'll also need to provide either:

    You must advise us of any previous name(s) you've had.

    Other documents that prove your identity

    If you can't provide 2 types of Government issued ID, you'll need to provide one Government issued ID and one of the following:

    • bank document
    • a document from a health practitioner
    • education organisation documents
    • employment letter/payslips
    • Inland Revenue letter
    • insurance documents
    • letter from prominent community member
    • power account
    • rates notice
    • telecommunications account
    • tenancy agreement
    • Kiwi Access card (18+).

    Non-government issued documents that prove your identity must be no more than six months old.

  • Application supporting documents

    This table tells you what you'll need to provide to support your application

    Confirm your: Provide:
    Bank account
    • Bank statement, or
    • deposit slip
    • screenshot of your online banking (showing your name, account number and the bank's logo).
    Income and assets

    Evidence of any before-tax income for the last 52 weeks from:

    • wages
    • holiday pay
    • business accounts
    • trust documents
    • any other income
    • assets and their values.
    Dependent children
    • Full birth certificates for all children in your care.
    • Details of any childcare you pay.
    • Any other documents relating to the child, including:
      • copies of Family Group Conference outcomes
      • Court orders
      • Court approved plans.
    Outgoings (including housing costs)

    Details of:

    • your rent, mortgage or other accommodation costs
    • hire purchase you're currently paying
    • other regular outgoings (eg because of a disability or health condition).

    If you've just left school you'll also need to bring your school leaving certificate.

  • Benefit specific documents

    There is additional information you need to provide, depending on what you may be eligible for.

    Benefit You'll need
    Jobseeker Support
    • current CV, or
    • details of your work qualifications (for example, training certificates and references from employers)
    • your health practitioner to send us a medical certificate (make sure they put your client number on it if you have one)
    • a completed Self-Assessment questionnaire if you have a health condition, injury or disability that stops you working full-time.
    Supported Living Payment
    • your health practitioner to send us a medical certificate (make sure they put your client number on it if you have one)
    • a completed Self-Assessment questionnaire
    • existing reports or assessments (for example, a Needs Assessment and Service Coordination (NASC) or a report from a specialist).
    Disability Allowance
    Childcare assistance
    • evidence of your work, course, study and number of hours (for example, a letter from an employer, an employment contract or a confirmation of study)
    • have the following form completed by your childcare service or OSCAR programme supervisor.


Contact us if you don't have any of the documents, have given them to us recently or if there might be a delay in getting them.