New Zealand Superannuation
New Zealand Superannuation is a fortnightly payment for people aged 65 and over. We’ll automatically send you a SuperGold card when your New Zealand Superannuation is granted.
Who can get it
You may get New Zealand Superannuation if you:
- are aged 65 or over
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- normally live in New Zealand at the time you apply.
You must also have lived in New Zealand for at least 10 years since you turned 20. Five of those years must be since you turned 50.
Time spent overseas in certain countries and for certain reasons may be counted for New Zealand Superannuation (we can tell you more about this when you contact us).
This information is a guide only. Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.
How much you can get
This depends on your current circumstances. These include:
- whether you are single, married or in a relationship
- your living situation if you are single
- whether your partner is included in your New Zealand Superannuation payments or not
- any overseas benefit or pension you may get.
Any payments you get from accident insurance or Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) may affect your pension.
For more information
If you'd like more information read:
For more detail go to our:
If you want to know more about overseas pensions, or if you are living overseas, read:
How to apply
Complete your application form for New Zealand Superannuation online.
If you don’t want to complete the form online call us on 0800 552 002 and we’ll explain how to apply. We’ll normally arrange a meeting with you and will tell you what you need to bring.
If you are deaf, hearing-impaired or find it hard to communicate by phone you may:
- send a message to our Deaf Link free-fax 0800 621 621
- send a message via the Teletypewriter telephone (TTY) on
0800 111 113
- email us on MSD_Deaf_Services@msd.govt.nz
How long do you have to complete your application?
You have 20 working days from when you first contacted us. You'll need to provide us with any supporting documentation required for your application within this time. If you don't do this, you may have to reapply.
If you can't complete your application within 20 working days for any reason contact us.