Travel and accommodation costs
We may be able to help with health-related travel and accommodation costs.
- You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify.
- You don't have to pay the money back.
Who can get it
You may be able to get help if you:
- are 16 or over (if you're 16-18 and have a Youth Service provider, contact Youth Services)
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here
- have an immediate and essential need
- are referred to a hospital or other health service for medical treatment, assessments or services by a registered medical practitioner
- are not receiving help for that travel or accommodation cost:
- from a Health Agency
- under the National Travel Assistance Scheme
- from a Disability Allowance.
We can only help with travel costs if they are for a one-off appointment, eg day surgery or consultations.
If your travel or accommodation cost is covered by ACC, we may still be able to help. Talk to us about your situation.
It also depends on:
- how much you and your partner earn
- any money or assets you and your partner have.
If you are Weekly income before tax is less than single, 16-17 years $480.03 single, 18+ years $551.70 married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) $801.31 sole parent (1 child) $669.46 sole parent (2+ children) $705.31
These don't include what you need for day-to-day living, eg your home or your car. They do include money in the bank, or things like a caravan or a second property.
If you are Your assets are worth less than single $1,050.92 married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) $1,751.13
What you can get
We generally pay up to $300 in a year. But it depends on your situation.
We can pay for actual and reasonable:
- travel costs for a return journey of at least 8 kms to the place of treatment, assessment or services
- accommodation and meal costs if you need to stay away from home overnight to attend the treatment, assessment or services.
How to apply
Use MyMSD to book an appointment to come in and see us. It will tell you what you need to bring.
If you have an urgent cost to pay within 24 hours, call us on 0800 559 009. We'll book you an appointment to come in and see us as soon as possible and tell you what you need to bring.