Seasonal Work Assistance

Assistance for seasonal workers who are no longer getting a benefit and have lost wages because of work missed due to bad weather.

Who can get it

You may get Seasonal Work Assistance if you:

  • stopped getting a benefit within the last 26 weeks to go into seasonal horticultural or viticultural work
  • have lost wages because you could not work due to bad weather, and
  • are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

It also depends on:

  • how much you and your spouse or partner earn
  • any money or assets you and your spouse or partner have.

You should also normally live in New Zealand and intend to stay here.

How much you can get

The rate paid is the current minimum wage for up to 40 hours a week (less tax and ACC).

The maximum amount you can be paid in a 26-week period is $2,176.

How to apply

You need to call us on 0800 559 009

We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help. We'll let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us.


This information is a guide only.

Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.