Veteran’s Pension is a fortnightly payment for veterans who have served in a war or other emergency, and have a disability. When you get Veteran’s Pension you will automatically be issued with a Veteran SuperGold card.
Who can get it
You may get Veteran's Pension if you:
- have served in the New Zealand Armed Forces in a war or other emergency
- are a New Zealand resident and normally live here.
You must also be either:
- aged 65 years or over and have a War Disablement Pension accepted at a qualifying rate of disablement
- aged under 65 years with a disability that stops you working long-term or permanently.
This information is a guide only. Contact the Veteran's Pension Centre to talk about your individual circumstances.
How much you can get
This depends on your circumstances. These include:
- whether you are single, married or in a relationship
- your living situation if you are single
- whether your partner is included in your Veteran’s Pension payments or not
- any overseas benefit or pension you may get.
Any payments you get from accident insurance or Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) may affect your pension.
For more information
If you'd like more information read:
If you want to know more about overseas pensions or if you are living overseas read:
New Veterans’ Support Act 2014
The Veterans’ Support Act 2014 was passed on 7 August 2014. The new legislation will continue to provide financial and other support for veterans and their families, along with a new focus on rehabilitation. Much of the Act will be implemented on 8 December 2014.
For more information, including Frequently asked Questions, go to the:
How to apply
Contact the Veteran's Pension Centre on 0800 650 656 to talk about your circumstances and they’ll explain how to apply.
If you are deaf, hearing-impaired or find it hard to communicate by phone you can contact us on Deaf Link.
How long do you have to complete your application?
You have 20 working days from when you first contacted us. You'll need to provide us with any supporting documentation required for your application within this time. If you don't do this, you may have to reapply.
If you can't complete your application within 20 working days for any reason, contact the Veteran's Pension Centre