Residential Care Subsidy
If you need long-term residential care in a hospital or rest home, you may be able to get a Residential Care Subsidy from the Ministry of Health. This subsidy helps with the cost of this care. The subsidy is paid directly to the hospital or rest home by the Ministry of Health.
Who can get it
The Ministry of Health determines if you get a Residential Care Subsidy.
You may get a Residential Care Subsidy if:
- you are assessed as needing long-term residential care in a hospital or rest home
- you need this care for an indefinite length of time
- the hospital or rest home is approved
- you are aged 65 or older (if you are 50-64 years old other conditions apply so please contact us).
It also depends on:
- how much you and your spouse or partner earn
- any money or assets you and your spouse or partner have.
This information is a guide only. Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.
How much you can get
If you get a benefit or pension, most of it goes to the hospital or rest home to help pay for your care. You keep a personal allowance.
For more information
If you'd like more information read:
For more detail go to our: