Out of School Care and Recreation (OSCAR) Subsidy
Out of School Care and Recreation (OSCAR) Subsidy is a payment which helps families with the costs of before- and after-school programmes, and school holiday programmes. It helps with the costs of before- and after-school programmes for up to 20 hours a week, and school holiday programmes of up to 50 hours a week.
IMPORTANT; In order to receive your OSCAR subsidy from the day your child starts the programme, you need to submit your application to us before your child’s first day. This is especially important at School Holidays.
Who can get it
You may get an OSCAR Subsidy if you:
- are the main carer of a dependent child
- don’t have a partner who can provide childcare
- are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
It also depends on how much you and your spouse or partner earn.
The child or young person must be:
- aged five to 13 years old (or up to 18 years if you get a Child Disability Allowance for them)
- attending an approved OSCAR programme for three or more hours a week.
The child should also normally live in New Zealand.
This information is a guide only. Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.
How much you can get
This depends on your circumstances.
There are two income cut-out points (thresholds) that apply to Childcare Subsidy. The different thresholds apply to:
- clients who had not received assistance in the 12 months prior to 27 September 2010
- clients who had received assistance in the 12 months prior to 27 September 2010 - these clients qualify for earlier thresholds
You can estimate the amount of OSCAR Subsidy you may be entitled to by using the calculator on the Working for Families website
What are the benefits of choosing an OSCAR approved programme
The OSCAR Standards provide reassurance to parents and caregivers that a programme is properly run and takes place in a safe environment for children. In addition, parents and caregivers may qualify for an OSCAR Subsidy. Parents of children attending unapproved programmes cannot receive an OSCAR Subsidy.
For more information
If you'd like more information read:
For more detail go to our:
Are you eligible?
How to apply
Complete your application form for financial assistance online.
If you don’t want to complete the form online you can print out and complete the appropriate application form below.
If you can’t print the form out we’ll send an application form to you or you can complete it when you come in to see us.
Contact us for more information or call the Working for Families contact centre on 0800 774 004.