Funeral Grant

A Funeral Grant can help with some of the funeral costs of someone who has died.

Who can get it

You may get a Funeral Grant if you are either:

  • the partner, spouse, child, parent or guardian of the person who died, or
  • arranging the funeral of someone with no partner, spouse or direct relation.

The Funeral Grant is income and asset tested. The test depends on whether the person who died had a surviving partner or dependent children, or if they were a child. (A child is a single person under the age of 18 years, unless they were 16 or 17 years and financially independent.)

The person who died must have normally lived in New Zealand.

The Funeral Grant can be used towards costs such as:

  • professional services for preparing the body for cremation or burial (for example, embalming)
  • the cost of a casket
  • newspaper notice costs
  • hearse fees
  • compulsory fees for buying a burial plot
  • cremation fees.

There are some costs it can’t be used for. If you want to check if a cost can be included, contact us.

This information is a guide only. Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.

How much you can get

The most you can be paid is $2,008.76 (as at 1 April 2015). However this depends on the money or assets the person who died had.

If you are their partner, spouse, parent or guardian it also depends on:

  • how much you earn
  • any money or assets you have.

Income and asset test information


Income is only used to work out if you can get a Funeral Grant when:

  • there is a surviving spouse/partner, or
  • the person who died was a child.

Income limit as at 1 April 2015

Surviving partner or parents/guardians:
(for parents it is the combined total)

Estimated income (before tax) for the next 52 weeks must be below:

Single person 16 - 17 years old


Single person (18 years or older)


In a marriage, civil union or de facto relationship (with or without children)


Sole parent, one child


Sole parent, two or more children


For more information see:


When working out if you can get a funeral grant, we need to take into account the assets of:

  • the person who died
  • any surviving partner
  • parents, if the person who died was a child.

For a surviving partner or for parents (if the person who died was a child) the first $1,751.13 (as at 1 April 2015) of assets aren’t included and nor are some family and personal assets.

For more information about what assets are taken into account please see:

Other help with funeral costs

Funeral costs can also be covered by:

  • another organisation, for example ACC or Veteran’s Affairs
  • prepaid funeral cover.

If there is other help with costs you may not be able to get a funeral grant.

To find out more information see:

For more information

This information is a guide only. Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.

For more detail go to our:

How to apply

The person applying for a Funeral Grant must be able to provide estate details or other information about the person who has died (including details about any children they are responsible for).

You'll need to complete an application form and provide:

  • confirmation of death, eg a death certificate, newspaper death notice. If you don’t have one, please tell us as we may be able to get this information
  • details of the funeral expenses – the itemised funeral account, and if it’s already paid, the original receipt and proof of a bank account number for the person who paid it
  • proof of who you are.

You may also need to provide details about assets and income.

Contact us to talk about your circumstances. We’ll explain more about how to apply and arrange a meeting with you.