Help with travel costs for ILN and ESOL courses

We can help clients get to ILN and ESOL courses

What you can get

If you need help with travel costs to get to a course that helps you with reading, maths, or speaking English, we may be able to help.

There are two types of courses that are paid for by the Tertiary Education Commission. They're free for Work and Income clients who have had approval to attend.

The courses you can do

Intensive literacy and numeracy for adult learners (ILN)

These courses help you improve your reading, writing and maths enough to be ready for further education or training, or to be more effective at work.

For more information, or for help to apply for this course step-by-step, you can contact the Tertiary Education Commission on 0800 601 301.

English for speakers of other languages (ESOL)

These courses help refugees and migrants living in New Zealand, whose first language is not English. If you're a refugee or migrant, they're designed to help you improve your English speaking and writing.

For advice about ESOL courses in your area, visit:

How to apply for help with travel

Call us to make an appointment and we'll let you know what documents to bring with you.

When you come to your meeting, please bring:

  • some identification - like a passport or driver licence
  • your letter from the course provider showing you are accepted on the course.

linksContact us

For more information or to make an appointment contact us