Going to the UK

If you are getting a benefit or payment from us and are moving to the United Kingdom, you need to contact us six weeks before you leave.

What you may get

You can't take your payments with you, but you may be able to get payments from the Department for Work and Pensions in the United Kingdom. You'll need to show evidence of your time in New Zealand, and you must apply when you get there.

What you get here (current categories) What you get here (new categories) What you might get there...
Unemployment Benefit
Sickness Benefit
Jobseeker Support Jobseeker's Allowance
Statutory Sick Pay - for up to 28 weeks only
Invalid's Benefit Supported Living Payment (health condition, injury, disability or totally blind) Employment and Support Allowance
Widow's Benefit Sole Parent Support (widows only) Widowed Parent's Allowance or Bereavement Allowance

The Department for Work and Pensions in the United Kingdom decides who can get United Kingdom benefits and pensions and how much will be paid.

How to apply

Contact the United Kingdom Department for Work and Pensions when you get there.

The Pension Service
The International Pension Centre
Tyneview Park
Newcastle Upon Tyne
NE98 1BA
+44 191 218 7777

State Pension UK

You must tell us you're going overseas before you go.

If you are applying in New Zealand please call us to arrange a meeting with us at least six weeks before you leave New Zealand.

You (and your partner) will need to bring to that meeting your passport(s), another form of ID each and your travel itinerary or tickets. You'll also need to complete an application to take your payments overseas.