How to apply for NZ Super if you're a new client
What you'll need to do and what information you'll need to apply for New Zealand Superannuation online, if you've never been a client of Work and Income, StudyLink or Seniors.
You have 20 working days from the date you first contact us to complete the application process.
1. Information you need
- Your IRD number and tax code.
- Your bank account details
- Details if you were born abroad, travelled or lived overseas
Have a partner
If you want to include your partner in your payments and they're not already getting NZ Super, you’ll also need to tell us:
- your partner's
- IRD number and tax code
- bank account details
- details if they were born abroad, travelled or lived overseas
- all your and your partner's income details for last 52 weeks, eg, wages, ACC, child support, dividends, interest, rentals, etc
- anything that could earn you or your partner money in the next 52 weeks, eg, rental income, dividends, interest, ACC, child support, overseas payments, any assets including assets held in family trusts or businesses or private companies.
Apply for other benefits
If you want to also apply for help with housing, medical or other essential costs, you'll need to provide additional information
2. Fill in the online form
You apply online using MyMSD. This is our online service where you can apply and manage your information online. You need a client number to set this up.
Call us on 0800 559 009, say "client number" when asked why you're calling. We'll need:
- your mobile phone number or email address
- if you were born overseas, the approximate date you arrived in New Zealand.
You can then set up a MyMSD and apply online.
Don't have a cell phone or email
If you don't have a cell phone or email address, you'll need to fill out the paper form.
If you don't know your client number, and/or don't have an email address or phone number registered with us, you can either:
Call us when we're open
Monday to Friday 7am to 6pm
Saturday 8am to 1pm
If you call us, we can tell you your client number and take some details from you. You can then set up a MyMSD and then apply online.
If you apply using MyMSD you'll also be able to:
- book an appointment to come in and see us
- see your next steps
- use MyMSD in the future, to transact with us online.
Apply now using our online form for new clients
You'll need a RealMe login.
You'll then have to call us to make an appointment.
Don't have a cell phone and email
If you don't have a cell phone and email address, you'll need to fill out the paper form.
Completing the online form
- The online form should take around 30 minutes to complete.
- If you don't do anything on the same page for more than 5 minutes you’ll be logged out.
- If you've started it, you can save it and come back to it later - you’ll start from your last completed page that was saved.
- You need to complete and submit your form within 60 days, otherwise it will be deleted.
- We don't see anything on your form until you submit it.
3. Submit your online form
Once you submit your form:
- you won't be able to change your answers. If you need to make changes, call us - you may need to complete a new application depending on your changes
- you'll get:
- an application reference number
- 'Next steps' instructions (including a list of documents you need to provide us)
- a confirmation email with your application reference number and next steps (if you provided an email address in the online form).
4. Next steps
Your next steps instructions are based on the information you provided in your application.
You'll be asked to either:
- do your next steps in MyMSD
- print, sign and drop off your form and supporting documents
- attend an appointment.
Next steps in MyMSD
If you're asked to do your next steps in MyMSD, you'll need to:
- read and accept your obligations in MyMSD
- get a medical certificate (only if required)
- gather your supporting documents - MyMSD will tell you what these are
- if you're single, you'll need to drop these off to one of our service centres
- if you have a partner, book an appointment for you and your partner.
Print, sign and drop off your form and supporting documents
If you're asked to print out your application form and sign it, you need to print it out on the ‘Application form submitted’ page, after you submit your application.
If you can’t print your application, call us and we’ll post a copy to you.
You’ll need to drop your application and supporting documents off to one of our service centres.
Attend an appointment
If you have a partner, you need to book an appointment for you and your partner. We'll let you know if you can do this in MyMSD. If you need to call us say "apply" when our phone system asks you what you’re calling about.
You'll need to bring your supporting documents with you to your appointment.
At your appointment, we’ll:
- go over your online form with you to check that you get all the benefits and payments you’re entitled to
- scan and save copies of your documents so you won’t have to bring in the same information if you visit us again.