Child support or private arrangements

If you get any child support payments from either Inland Revenue or a private arrangement, you need to tell us.


  • The amount you get will affect your benefit.
  • If you don't tell us we may not pay you enough. Or we may pay you too much and you have to pay the debt back.

Payment details

Child support payments from Inland Revenue are counted as income if you get:

  • a married rate of benefit
  • only Accommodation Supplement
  • Childcare or OSCAR Subsidy
  • Temporary Additional Support or Special Benefit
  • Supported Living Payment (caring for a person) as a sole parent
  • extra payments under a voluntary agreement.

This includes regular or extra voluntary payments.

How to tell us

The easiest way to tell us about your Child Support payments is online, using MyMSD.

  • If you've already told us about your Child Support payments, they will show in MyMSD. If these change, tell us from the home screen.
  • If you haven't told us about your Child Support payments yet, you need to select 'Declare wages' and then 'Change other income'.

You need to tell us:

  • how much the payment is before tax
  • when you're paid
  • how often you get this payment.

The amount you declare will continue every week until you let us know it has stopped or changed.

Keep us up to date

If you don't tell us, we'll keep paying you the same amount week after week. This could be too little or too much, and you could get into debt.