Cover letter templates and tips
Create a cover letter that will help you get a job, giving more detail about why you're suitable for the job you're applying for. You should always send a covering letter with your CV.
Writing a cover letter
- Be neat and tidy: if you’re sending a hard copy of your CV, print your letter on unmarked, white A4 paper.
- Keep it short: ideally just one page.
- Check your spelling and grammar and make sure you’ve got the correct job title and name spelling for the person you’re writing to.
- Be professional, positive and confident.
- Most of your letter should be in full sentences and split into paragraphs. You may wish to use bullet points to list key skills and achievements.
Your letter will probably be the first thing the employer sees, and they may decide whether to read your CV based on it. Write a tailored cover letter for each role or job lead outlining why you’re suited to that particular position.