Moving costs

If you're moving house, we may be able to help with a Moving Assistance payment.

  • Who can get it

    You may be able to get Moving Assistance if you:

    • have moving costs
    • either:
      • have a better chance of affording and managing long term in a private house with this help, or
      • are moving to another public house that better suits your needs.

    We’ll also take into account other factors, such as:

    • your situation
    • if this is the best help for you
    • what other help is available to you
    • if this payment would help you move into private housing.


    You also need to meet one of these residency criteria:

    • you're a New Zealand citizen
    • you have a resident visa or permanent resident visa and have lived in NZ continuously for at least 2 years since getting it
    • you're recognised as a refugee by Immigration New Zealand
    • you're recognised as a protected person by Immigration New Zealand
    • you're getting a main benefit from us (eg, Jobseeker Support), or
    • you fit into one of these categories:
      • you have a Christchurch Response Visa
      • you get Christchurch Mosque Attack Assistance, or
      • you get a Special Needs Grant because you came to New Zealand on a temporary visa to be with your NZ partner and your relationship ended due to domestic violence.

    Income and assets

    It also depends on:

    • how much you and your partner earn
    • any money or assets you and your partner have.

    Income limits

    If you get NZ Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension from Work and Income, your income needs to be under these limits:

    If you’re:

    Weekly income (before tax) is less than:



    Couple (with or without children)


    Sole parent 1 child


    Sole parent 2+ children


    Otherwise, your income needs to be under these limits:

    If you’re:

    Weekly income (before tax) is less than:



    Couple (without children)


    Couple (with children)


    Sole parent 1 child


    Sole parent 2+ children


    Asset limits

    Assets include money in the bank, or things like a caravan or second property. Assets don’t include the things you need for day-to-day living, like the home where you live or your car.

    If you’re:

    Your assets are worth less than:



    Married, civil union or de facto couple (with or without children) or sole parent


  • What you can get

    We can pay up to $1,500 over 12 months. You can use it for costs such as:

    • trailer, van or truck hire
    • petrol
    • moving companies if you can’t help with the move, eg, because of:
      • age
      • health condition
      • disability.

    It can’t be used for:

    • personal moving costs, eg airfares
    • moving overseas.

    You have to pay this money back.

  • How to apply

    You need to call us on 0800 559 009

    We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help.

    We'll also let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us. This could include:

    • proof of your moving costs, for example, a quote from the moving company
    • signing a 'Hardship Application Summary' form.
  • What happens next

    If your application's approved, we'll pay the money to you or directly to the supplier, it depends on what the cost is.

    If we pay the money to you, we may give you a payment card (if you don't already have one) and load the money onto it. A payment card is like an Eftpos card and you can use it at any store that accepts them.