NZ Super/Veteran's Pension for Tokelau residents

If you live in Tokelau you may be able to get New Zealand Superannuation (NZ Super) or Veteran's Pension.


  • If you're already 65, apply as soon as possible so you don't miss out on any payments.
  • If you're nearly 65, apply before your birthday.
  • Who can get it

    You may qualify for NZ Superannuation or Veteran’s Pension if you:

    • are 65 or over
    • either:
      • are a New Zealand citizen
      • are a permanent resident, or
      • hold a residence class visa
    • are ordinarily resident in New Zealand, the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau when you apply
    • have lived in New Zealand for at least 10 years since you turned 20
    • have lived in New Zealand, the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau (or a combination of these) for at least 5 years since you turned 50.

    When we say 'you live' or 'you've lived', we mean you normally live in NZ, the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau and that's where your home is.

    Intend to move to Tokelau

    If you live in New Zealand and intend to move to the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau, you can still apply for New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension.

    Talk to us before you leave New Zealand.

  • What you can get

    How much you get depends on how long you've lived in New Zealand since you turned 20:

    • 20 years or more – the full rate appropriate to you (single or married rate)
    • Less than 20 years – a rate calculated on the number of years you have lived in New Zealand.

    The amount you get may change if you or your partner get, or qualify for, a social security benefit, pension or allowance from a country other than New Zealand.

    More about New Zealand Superannuation

    More about overseas pensions

  • How to apply

    You need to complete and sign an application form. You can get this from either the:

    • Tokelau officials (on each atoll)
    • New Zealand High Commission in Apia, or
    • Ministry of Social Development in New Zealand by emailing us at:

    Take the form and all the documents we need to the relevant Tokelau official or the New Zealand High Commission in Apia. The documents we need are listed below and on the application form.

  • Documents we need


    You must provide government issued ID and secondary ID. One of your identification documents must be at least 2 years old.

    If you have a partner who's not getting NZ Superannuation or Veteran's Pension, you also need to provide identification documents for them.

    Government issued ID

    You need to provide one type of government issued identification that has your full legal name and your date of birth. For example:

    • birth certificate
    • passport
    • drivers licence
    • firearms licence
    • deed poll.

    If your name has changed, you need to provide your:

    • marriage certificate
    • deed poll, or
    • other proof of the name change.

    Secondary ID

    You need to provide 2 documents that support your identity. For example:

    • marriage certificate
    • bank statement
    • driver licence
    • bill with your name on it.

    Bank account number

    You need to provide a bank statement or deposit slip showing the:

    • account name
    • account number
    • bank logo.

    If you write any of these details yourself, you need to get the bank to stamp and sign the statement or slip.

    Living in the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau

    You may be using the time you lived in the Cook Islands, Niue or Tokelau from the age of 50, to qualify for this payment. If this is the case, you need to provide proof of your residence and presence. You can get this from the Customs or Immigration offices in those places.

    Ask us if you need help with this.

  • What happens next

    After you return your application form and the documents we need:

    • your form will be checked to make sure it is complete
    • copies of your documents will be made and your documents will be given back to you
    • your application will be sent securely to New Zealand to be processed.

    We will send you a letter to let you know the outcome of your application.



Call: +64 (0)4 978 1180