Gisborne flooding - June 2018
If you've been affected by the flooding in Tolaga Bay, Te Karaka, Whatatutu or Patutahi, there are lots of ways we can help and point you in the right direction based on your situation.
- You don't have to be on a benefit.
- You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.
How we can help
If you've been affected by the flooding, we may be able to help with:
- urgent or unexpected costs, eg:
- urgent living expenses, eg:
- medical costs
- house repairs or maintenance
- replacing appliances
- power bills
- lost wages, eg:
- you have to stay home and look after family members
- your workplace is closed.
We also provide other help such as benefits and housing assistance. Everyone's circumstances are different so what you may be able to get depends on your situation.
Help with clean-up
Enhanced Taskforce Green funding has been made available to help with the clean-up in Tolaga Bay, Whangara, Tikapa, Te Karaka, Ormond, Patutahi and Whatatutu. Taskforce teams will be helping to clear the debris and silt build-up and repair fences, as well as restoring riverbank vegetation. MSD is working closely with local councils and authorised agencies to establish the required teams.
When to contact us
Contact us if you:
- would like assistance
- aren't sure if you can get assistance
- are struggling to support yourself or your family
- would like more information.
How to contact us
Come in to see us at the Gisborne Service Centre (106 Lowe Street) to see how we can help.
If you can't come in, call us on 0800 559 009 and we'll arrange for someone to call you back.
Our online services
You can also use MyMSD to apply for some types of help.
Help for farmers
Farmers please contact either: David Scott, Rural Recovery Coordinator on 027 211 9941/(06) 8684840 or Patrick Willock, Agriculture Recovery Facilitator on 021 240 6534 or (06) 867 6902.