Rural Assistance Payments Drought 2017

Information about financial and other assistance you and your family may qualify for if you've been affected by this drought.

There is a range of financial assistance available through Work and Income for people (farming and non-farming) whose incomes have been affected by the drought.

  • Rural Assistance Payments

    Rural Assistance Payments are available up to 08 February 2017 to 07 October 2017 to eligible farmers whose income is affected by the drought in the following regions:

    • Far North District Council
    • Whangarei District Council
    • Kaipara District Council
    • Rodney Local Board
    • Waitakere Ranges Local Board
    • Hibiscus and Bays Local Board
    • Devonport-Takapuna Local Board
    • Kaipatiki Local Board
    • Upper Harbour Local Board
    • Great Barrier Local Board
    • Waiheke Local Board

    Your local Rural Support Trust coordinator can provide more information about what you may be eligible for and help you with the application process. You can contact the Rural Support Trust on 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP)

  • Help for others affected by the Drought 2017

    Farm workers, rural contractors and others whose incomes are affected by the drought aren't covered by Rural Assistance Payments but may qualify for other assistance.

    Please contact your local Work and Income Rural Assistance Payment Coordinator to find out what help you may be eligible for.

  • Other help from us

    Work and Income administers a range of assistance including one-off grants and regular payments as well as benefits.

    If you're unable to meet your basic living costs or need something and you can't afford to pay for it now, talk to us as we may be able to help you. Everyone's situation is different, so what you may qualify for depends on your situation.

    There are some conditions so talk with your local Work and Income about your circumstances, and we'll work out the best way to help you.

    You can contact us if you:

    • would like assistance
    • aren't sure if you can get assistance
    • are struggling to support yourself or your family
    • would like more information.
  • Help from other organisations

    Rural Support Trusts

    Rural Support Trusts provide information and support to the rural community in times of hardship or in adverse events such as a drought, flood, or a biosecurity incursion.

    You can contact your local Rural Support Trust coordinator for a free and confidential conversation about assistance and support on 0800 787 254 (0800 RURAL HELP) or visit:

    Ministry for Primary Industries

    The Ministry for Primary Industries co-ordinates the Government's response to adverse events affecting farms. They monitor conditions throughout New Zealand on a regular basis, and advise Government accordingly. Information about the current Drought and recovery assistance measures can be found at:

    Inland Revenue

    Tax relief and income assistance may be available to farmers affected by the Drought – it will depend on your personal circumstances. If you are concerned about tax payments, changes in income or refunds, contact your tax agent or you can call Inland Revenue's emergency helpline on 0800 473 566 or visit:


    ACC is keen to work with individuals and understand any concerns they may have about levy related matters as a result of an adverse event. Please contact their Business Service Centre on 0800 222 776