Lower South Island Floods 2017
What support and assistance is available if you've been affected by the Canterbury and Otago floods in July 2017
There are lots of ways we can help and we can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don’t have to be on a benefit.
Support from Work and Income
Contact us if:
- you want to apply for assistance
- you aren’t sure if you can get assistance and would like to talk to someone
- you’re struggling to support yourself or your family and need more information.
Civil Defence Payments
Civil Defence Payments are available to people affected by flooding in Timaru, Waitaki, Dunedin, Selwyn, Ashburton and Christchurch. You don’t have to be on a benefit to be eligible.
We can help with:
- payments if you’re hosting evacuees (private homes)
- accommodation costs if you’re evacuated and are staying in motels, hotels, or temporary rental accommodation
- loss of livelihood (where you can’t work and have lost your income because of the floods);
- food, clothing and bedding (immediate needs and up to a maximum amount)
Your insurance policy may cover these costs – please check with them.
Support from Oranga Tamariki
If you are worried that a child or young person you know is not safe or being cared for, or you know a child who has been separated from their parents or caregivers you can call Oranga Tamariki on 0508 326 459 (24 hours a day, seven days a week) or email firstname.lastname@example.org or if urgent call the police.
If any Oranga Tamariki caregivers require support to deal with the effects of flooding please call Oranga Tamariki on 0508 326 459 (24 hours a day, seven days a week) or email