Upper South Island and Wellington region flooding

19 July 2021.

Support and assistance may be available if you've been affected by the flooding and storm.

There are lots of ways we can help, and we can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don't have to be on a benefit, help is also available to people on a low income. You may have to pay the money back depending on your situation.

If you or your family need financial help, call us.

Civil Defence Payments – Buller District

Civil Defence payments are available for people who have been affected by the flooding in the Buller District. You don't have to be on a benefit to qualify for a Civil Defence Payment. In most cases it doesn't matter what your income is or what assets you have. These payments are available for a limited time.

A Civil Defence Payment can help with:

  • accommodation costs if you're evacuated and are staying in accommodation such as motels, hotels or temporary rental accommodation
  • loss of income because you can't work due to the flooding
  • emergency food, clothing and bedding if yours has been damaged or destroyed by the flooding
  • payment if you have evacuees staying with you in places such as a private home, marae or community centres.

Call us on 0800 559 009 to apply for Civil Defence payments. This line is open Monday to Friday, 7am to 6pm and Saturday, 8am-1pm.

Enhanced Task Force Green

The Government has made up to $500,000 available through Enhanced Task Force Green to help with the Upper South Island floods clean-up.

Farmers and growers can self-register for clean-up help through https://arcg.is/1LvX1b

Other people needing help on their properties will be able to apply through Civil Defence and can find their local contact here.

Job seekers who want to help with the clean-up can contact their local Work and Income office.

Local people will be used wherever possible due to pressure on accommodation, particularly on the West Coast.