South Auckland Tornado 2021

20 June 2021.

Support and assistance is available if you or your whānau has been affected by the South Auckland Tornado 2021.

Supports available

There are lots of ways we can help, and we can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don't have to be on a benefit.

If you or your family need financial help, call us on 0800 752 102. This line is open from Monday-Friday, 7am to 6pm.

How we can help

If you have been affected by the tornado, Work and Income can help with a Civil Defence Payment for some costs. You don't need to be on a benefit to get this.

A Civil Defence Payment can help with:

  • accommodation costs if you're evacuated and are staying in accommodation such as motels, hotels or temporary rental accommodation
  • loss of income because you can't work due to the tornado
  • emergency food, clothing and bedding if yours has been damaged or destroyed by the tornado
  • payment if you have evacuees staying with you in places such as a private home, marae or community centres.

Emergency Management

For information on what to do after a tornado, including safety and cleaning up, go to the Get Ready website.

For information about roading, water and wastewater, Civil Defence Centres or Recovery Assistance Centres, contact the civil defence team at your local council.

You can also visit the Family Services Directory that connect families with providers who can help them cope with common issues and problems.

Damage to your home or property

Insurance and EQC claims

If your home, car or contents have been damaged by the tornado, report it to your insurance company as soon as possible. They will let you know what you need to do next, how to make a claim, and how EQC works.

If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure and weather tight, please record any work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of any bills you paid.

You can make an EQC claim online or by calling 0800 326 243.

Damage to rental properties

If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, you can find information on your rights and obligations on the Tenancy Services website or by phoning 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

Stress counselling or support

Emergencies caused by tornadoes are usually unexpected, sudden and can be overwhelming. It's natural to feel emotionally and physically drained.

You’re not alone in this and you don’t need to cope on your own. Friends and family members not affected by the event can help you cope.

You can get more help and information from:

If you work, your employer may be part of an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) and will be able to provide you with those details.

Animal welfare

There's help available if you have animals to care for.

The Ministry of Primary Industries has information and checklists to help you protect your animals in emergencies.