Canterbury floods

08 June 2021.

Support and assistance is available if you've been affected by the Canterbury floods (May/June 2021).


The Canterbury flood civil defence payments are no longer available.

The Government has made $500,000 available today through Enhanced Task Force Green to help with the Canterbury floods clean-up. Read more here.

Job seekers interested in helping the Canterbury flood recovery can register their interest by calling 0800 559 009.

Farmers and growers can self-register for clean-up help through

Other people needing help on their properties will be able to apply through Civil Defence and can find their local contact here.

Other supports

There are lots of ways we can help, and we can point you in the right direction based on your situation. You don't have to be on a benefit.

We may be able to give you and your family assistance if you've been directly affected by flooding in:

  • Kaikōura District
  • Hurunui District
  • Waimakariri District
  • Christchurch City
  • Selwyn District
  • Ashburton District
  • Timaru District
  • Mackenzie District
  • Waimate District.

If you or your family need financial help, call us for an appointment.

How we can help

If you have been affected by an emergency, Work and Income can help with a Civil Defence Payment for some costs. You don't need to be on a benefit to get this.

A Civil Defence Payment can help with:

  • accommodation costs if you're evacuated and are staying in accommodation such as motels, hotels or temporary rental accommodation
  • loss of income because you can't work due to the flooding
  • emergency food, clothing and bedding if yours has been damaged or destroyed by the flooding
  • payment if you have evacuees staying with you in places such as a private home, marae or community centres.

Emergency Management

For information on what to do after a flood, including safety and cleaning up, go to the Get Ready website.

For information about roading, water and wastewater, Civil Defence Centres or Recovery Assistance Centres, contact the civil defence team at your local council.

Damage to your home or property

Insurance and EQC claims

If your home, car or contents have been damaged by the floods, report it to your insurance company as soon as possible. They will let you know what you need to do next, how to make a claim, and how EQC works.

If you need to make your home safe, sanitary, secure and weather tight, please record any work done, take before and after photos, and keep copies of any bills you paid.

You can make an EQC claim online or by calling 0800 326 243.

Damage to rental properties

If you are the tenant or landlord of a rental property, you can find information on your rights and obligations on the Tenancy Services website or by phoning 0800 TENANCY (0800 836 262).

Stress counselling and support

Emergencies caused by floods are usually unexpected, sudden and can be overwhelming. It's natural to feel emotionally and physically drained.

You’re not alone in this and you don’t need to cope on your own. Friends and family members not affected by the event can help you cope.

You can get more help and information from:

If you work, your employer may be part of an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) and will be able to provide you with those details.

Support for rural communities

The Rural Support Trust has local, rural people who know from experience that severe weather, finances, relationships, and work pressures can mount up. Your local Rural Support Trust can help during or after an emergency.

You can get in touch with your local Rural Support Trust by calling 0800 RURAL HELP (0800 787 254) or visit their website.

Animal welfare

There's help available if you have animals to care for.

The Ministry of Primary Industries has information and checklists to help you protect your animals in emergencies.