Central North Island Flooding

06 July 2015.

Information about assistance (including financial assistance) you and your family may qualify for if you’ve been affected by the June 2015 flooding.

There are a number of payments available that can help people and their families during, and after, an emergency like the June 2015 floods.

The main types of payment are listed below. Even if you don’t think you would qualify for these, please talk to us. There are other options available, and we can point you in the right direction based on your circumstances.

You can contact us by calling our general enquires line 0800 559 009 or you can go to your nearest service centre

How we can help

Civil Defence Payments

Civil Defence Payments are available in situations such as the June 2015 floods. Generally, the payments cover temporary accommodation, loss of livelihood, food, bedding and clothing.

Hardship Assistance

There are a number of options for hardship assistance, including:

These payments are generally for urgent one-off items, such as petrol, food, or furniture. The best way to find out whether you qualify for these is to speak to us, so we can assess your circumstances.

Enhanced Taskforce Green

After the initial emergency, the focus turns to clean-up and recovery. The Government may approve an Enhanced Taskforce Green work programme to provide assistance with the clean-up.

Emergency Benefit

Emergency Benefit is assistance that may be paid to people who cannot support themselves and who do not qualify for any other payments. Please contact us for more information

Rural Assistance payments

Rural Assistance payments are available to help farming families meet essential living expenses in emergency situations.

Other forms of assistance

Mayoral Relief Fund

These payments are available from your local council, with eligibility assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Inland Revenue

Tax relief and income assistance may be available for people affected by the flood, depending on their personal circumstances.

If you are concerned about tax payments, changes in income or refunds, contact your accountant, or Inland Revenue on 0800 473 566 or visit:


ACC want to hear any concerns people may have about levy related matters as a result of the June flooding. Contact ACC on 0800 222 776


You should always check whether you are covered under your insurance policy before applying for any of these forms of assistance.

Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)

Find information and resources on dealing with floods, how MPI assesses the severity of flooding and the process for classifying floods.